Trauma-Informed Care Champions: From Treaters to Healers
– Eddy Machtinger, MD, Director of Women’s HIV Program, UCSF
Why are health care professionals across the nation embracing trauma-informed care? The Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS) posed this question to providers and patients to gather first-hand perspectives on the value of trauma-informed care. The resulting videos, Trauma-Informed Care Champions: From Treaters to Healers, feature practitioners from The Bronx, Philadelphia, and San Francisco who are leading a movement to improve health care for patients who have experienced trauma. The videos, which also include patient perspectives, outline how experiences such as abuse, neglect, and violence impact health, and how trauma can be more effectively acknowledged and addressed in a health care setting.
How to Use These Videos
Building awareness and generating buy-in are foundational steps toward becoming a trauma-informed organization. Use these videos to spread the word about trauma-informed care with key audiences:
- Senior Leadership – Share with senior decision-makers to demonstrate the value of trauma-informed care and gain buy-in to initiate new programs.
- Front-Line Staff – Screen at a weekly staff meeting to introduce the concept of trauma-informed care, use to initiate a staff training or discussion session, and/or incorporate into new employee onboarding.
- Providers – Share with providers to demonstrate how peers across the country are adopting trauma-informed approaches to improve patient outcomes and combat burnout.
- Patients and Families – Screen at a patient advisory group meeting to launch a discussion on the value of trauma-informed care and begin exploring how it can be implemented to better meet their needs.
The providers featured in these videos are participants in Advancing Trauma-Informed Care, a national initiative supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation aimed at understanding how trauma-informed approaches can be practically implemented across the health care sector.
Learn more about the featured trauma-informed champions:
What is Trauma-Informed Care? Shares information on the lifelong impact of trauma on health, and how trauma-informed care can create a more welcoming environment for patients and staff. (3:30 minutes)