Interested in learning more about trauma-informed care and adverse childhood experiences (ACEs)? Here are links to helpful resources and organizations working in the field of trauma-informed care.
- Association of Childhood Trauma Exposure with Adult Psychiatric Disorders and Functional Outcomes identifies a link between childhood trauma and negative outcomes in health and functioning in adulthood. The findings suggest opportunities for child-focused public health efforts to improve long-term morbidity. Journal of the American Medical Association, 2018
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System is a primary source of data on the prevalence of ACEs among non-institutionalized U.S. adults. Since 2009, 32 states plus the District of Columbia have collected ACEs survey data. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Early Adopters of Trauma-Informed Care: An Implementation Analysis of the Advancing Trauma-Informed Care Grantees examines implementation strategies at six pilot sites and identifies the key characteristics that define a trauma-informed organization, as well as barriers and facilitators to adopting trauma-informed practices across various settings. Urban Institute, 2018
- Findings from the Philadelphia Urban ACE Survey, an important early study of the negative health effects of trauma, examined a more diverse set of individuals than the original landmark study conducted by the CDC in 1998. Public Health Management Corporation, 2013
- Implementing a Trauma-Informed Public Health System in San Francisco, California describes how the San Francisco Department of Public Health designed and implemented their Trauma-Informed Systems Initiative, an organizational model to address trauma at the systems level. Health Education & Behavior, 2018
- The Implementation and Effect of Trauma-Informed Care Within Residential Youth Services in Rural Canada: A Mixed Methods Case Study evaluated the impact of trauma training with a focus on vicarious traumatization in a residential youth services division. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 2017
- The Lifelong Effects of Early Childhood Adversity and Toxic Stress proposes a framework for how early experiences and environmental influences affect the genetic predispositions affecting developing brain architecture and long-term health. Pediatrics, January 2012
- Medical Students’ Perspectives on Trauma-Informed Care Training is a study that assessed medical students’ perspectives on trauma-informed care training, current practice challenges, and resources needed to provide trauma-informed care following six hours of training. The Permanente Journal, 2018
- A Mixed Methods Assessment of the Usefulness of Baltimore City Health Department’s Trauma-Informed Care Training Intervention looked at changes in provider knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs related to trauma and trauma-informed care following a trauma-informed care training. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 2018.
- National Survey of Children’s Health, a data source provided by the Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, measures the health and well-being of children as well as their access to quality care.
- Organizational and Provider Level Factors in Implementation of Trauma-Informed Care After a City-Wide Training: An Explanatory Mixed Methods Assessment analyzed the impact of a city-wide trauma-informed training on organizational culture and professional quality of life in government and nonprofit professionals. BMC Health Services Research, 2017
- Prevalence of Adverse Childhood Experiences From the 2011-2014 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System in 23 States, a CDC study, is one of the largest and most representative examinations of the prevalence of ACEs to date. JAMA Pediatrics, 2018
- Relationship of Childhood Abuse and Household Dysfunction to Many of the Leading Causes of Death in Adults is the original ACE Study conducted by CDC and Kaiser Permanente that analyzed the relationship between childhood abuse and neglect and health and well-being later in life. See about the CDC-Kaiser ACE Study for more information. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, May 1998
- Risking Connection Trauma Training: A Pathway Toward Trauma-Informed Care in Child Congregate Care Settings analyzed the impact of staff trauma training on knowledge, beliefs, and behaviors in child congregate care settings. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 2012
- Systematic Review of Evaluations of Trauma-Informed Organizational Interventions that Include Staff Trainings analyzes studies that have evaluated the effects of organizational interventions that include trauma-informed care training for staff. SAGE Journals, 2018